Saturday, December 25, 2010

Come with Me

I wrote this poem after seeing an African drumming and dance performance my freshman year at UC Berkeley.  The women were dressed in bright red dresses, leaping around, and stomping on the stage to the driving beat of drums whose rhythm pulsed right through the air and into my veins.  There was so much life being lived on that stage, I wanted to go home and spread the gospel of really LIVING.


Come with Me


Mr. Business Man
Under that suit is a body made from earth–
a product 
of ten million years
of tweaking by a Darwin
tuning fork
But down your chest hangs a 
Fancy Silver Tie
severing that God-sculpted masterpiece 
right in two
like dynamite set by train track men
to blow a mountain straight in 
half

Fancy Silver Tie
hanging like a hangman's rope
ready to strangle your soul
and let it sway in the wind bug-eyed

So why aren't you crying then
poor Mr. Business man?
Don't you feel hurt 
all sliced down the middle
like that?
You keep on typing 
and that phone still sucks on your ear so hungry
like a piglet from its mother's 
teet

Come with me
Take off that tie
so your torso can fuse its fibers back
Unstitch your spine from the
scarecrow pole
Throw that posture to the wind!
It's okay to flop down all messy-like
down in a heap of straw

Breathe in sky as the drum beat pounds in your thundering thighs,
it's called music and it'll do you good
Now shake that belly like it's 
strawberry jelly
Spread your sweetness on the
toasty ground
Do it just like I saw those 
Mozambique girls do, all covered in red
and jumpin' through the air like
rose petals in
wind

When I rub this warm, orange mud
on your scrubbed and disinfected flesh,
you'll remember that you are Man
and I am Woman
and this land was made for dancing

My smile will arch up like the hull of a sailboat
I will have done what I aimed to do:
helped you find your Life that
got lost along the way
laying wasted and strewn on
the rotting corpse of
civilization
for all these
years


Joyful Dancer, 2010.  Acrylic on canvas. 24" x 30". Sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment